Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday ~ George Whitman


So, on Saturday I took a "Kelly Research Day" and went down to Doylestown, Wayne County, Ohio to find my Whitman and Conlin family at the St. Peters & Pauls Catholic Cemetery. It was a beatuiful day to wander around a cemetery. I found my three generations of Whitmans right away as well as a slew of collateral Whitmans.

I will start at the begining with George Whitman born about 1768 in Switzerland according to some records. George settled in Pennslyvania with his wife and atleast two sons, Christian (born 1807 Adams County, PA) and Andrew. They then moved on to Wayne County, Ohio by 1840, probably in the early to mid 1830s according to land records that I located Saturday also.

George and his family helped build the St. Peters & Pauls Catholic Church. According to the Church history "Masses were celebrated in the log cabin of the Whitman family until 1836." George died 18 June 1843 Wayne County, Ohio at the age of 79 years.

Kelly

http://www.stspeterpaul-doylestown.4lpi.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment