Friday, December 31, 2010

Ancestor Approved ~ Ten Discoveries


I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when Shelley Bishop over at  A Sense of Family gave me the “Ancestor Approved Award.”  The award was created by Leslie Ann of Ancestors Live Here in March 2010, and has been passed along to many genealogical bloggers.  I am honored to be in good company, thank you Shelley!

Recipients are asked to make a list of ten things they have learned about their ancestors that have humbled, surprised, or enlightened them. Then they are to pass on the award to ten other bloggers who are doing their ancestors proud.  Kind of a nice way to wrap up the old year and start out the new year.  I have learned a lot about my ancestors this year.

1.  I was surprised this year to learn my Dad's side of the family had French bloodlines and in two lines no less!  Thought they were a bunch of hot headed Scotch and Germans. I am a descendant of Maureen DuVall a French Huguenot and my Gardners are actually Gaertner's who married the Nouviers in Moselle, France.

2.  I was humbled by Maureen and his life.  The Huguenots had a lot of turmoil in their lives and then to come to a new country around 1650 and start all over is a huge step.

3.  I was enlightened this year by a "new" cousin.  I had a letter from her many years ago I inherited from my Granny.  I had finally tracked her down and it was well worth the hunt.

4.  I was also enlightened and humbled by Kentucky this year.  My cohort in research and I made a road trip to the Kentucky State Archives and Historical Society for a mad three days of non-stop research!  The Archivists at both locations have our undying love now and we are planning another revealing marathon!  Our Ancestors had been waiting for us to uncover many delightful records!!

5.  I must admit that I was surprised to find my first Confederate Soldier, Samuel Thomas Wells, in my non to distant family line.  Now that the dust has settled, we'll keep him. :)

6.  I was humbled when on my visit to Monroe County, Ohio this year when I took my Mom on her first courthouse stake out.  We both got teary eyed when she opened and held a court document with her Great Grandmother's, Mary Anne Hayes Stine, signature on it.  

7.  I guess you could use the word enlightened or even humbled when while in Monroe County, we drove through the hills early in the morning to watch the sun burn off the mist in the cemetery where many of my family are laid to rest.  I posed for a lovely photo with my Great Grandma and Grandpa.  Also nearby was my only Revolutionary War ancestor on my Mom's side of the family.

8.  I was also humbled to have been able to head over to Hancock County, Ohio to visit the graves of my Scotch ancestors after the Ohio Genealogical Society Conference.  I was able to sit down next to my fifth great Grandmother, Mary Milligan Sorbie Littrick, who was born in Scotland, survived two husbands and came to the U.S. with her two grown sons early in Ohio History.  

9.  I was surprised to find out that I am a descendant of Col. James Francis Moore who served his country and States well in the Revolutionary War and he died while on the Legislature floor in Frankfort, Kentucky.

10.  And lastly, I am extremely grateful and humbled in the progress I have made this past year with all of my ancestors.  I have been madly citing my sources, updating my tree, keeping files filed, helping others with their research and enjoying myself thoroughly in my endeavors.

After just picking ten things about this past year's ancestors, I now have the hard job of picking ten blogs that I have enjoyed this past year and passing along the Ancestors Approved Award. It is a lot of fun to read about other genealogists and their adventures in the genealogical world. So thank you and enjoy!

Kelly

My pick for the Ancestors Approved Award:

3. Staats Place by Chris
5. Pollyblog by Polly
6. Henthorn Genealogy by Mr. Dickie
7. The Symbolic Past by Marian
8. Greta's Genealogy Bog by Greta
10. Our Scots by Jo
 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list, Kelly. I especially like that you included the beautiful morning experience in the cemetery. And thank you so much for the Ancestor Approved Award!

    ReplyDelete